San Jose Military Divorce Lawyer
Are You A Military Service Member or Spouse Who Is Thinking About or Ready to File for Divorce, Or Has Your Spouse Filed for Divorce Against You, Leaving You Unsure of How to Move Forward?
Look, We Know We’re Not The Only Divorce Lawyers In San Jose, And We Know You May Be Searching For The Right Attorney to Help You. We’re Different. We Have Successfully Handled A LOT Of Military Divorces, Probably Just Like Yours. We Do Not Complicate Cases For Extra Billing, Really Care, And Keep Our Focus on the Best Interests Of You & Your Family.
Military Deployment can be hard on service members and their families, and the strain can take a toll on a marriage. When you need help navigating your way through this difficult time, we are here to help.
Why Choose Seabrook Law Office For Your Military Divorce?
- Highly Reviewed & Rated – 5-Star rating on Google, Yelp & Facebook.
- Responsive – We pride ourselves on fast response times when communicating with our clients. We will never let your questions or concerns go unaddressed.
- Efficient – Avoiding an adversarial, destructive, and contentious divorce costs less, and you are not reducing the assets that acrimonious divorcing couples usually battle over. Our priority is meeting your needs, not running up your bill.
- No Case Is Too Difficult or Complex – This is where tenacity and knowledge of the law matter. We do what is necessary, even in complex cases.
- Straight Shooters – You’ve made an important decision in your life. We respect you for that. Our approach focuses on efficiency and speed to resolve cases as quickly as we can to get your life back to normal sooner.
- Because Your Family and Happiness Are at Stake – The smoother and fairer a divorce goes, the better the post-divorce interactions tend to be. This is better for the children (when applicable), you, and your ex-spouse.
- Caring & Compassionate (truly) – We have a personal connection to divorce and family law matters. We know what it takes, even in complicated situations.
- Personalized Attention – We understand and respect that every client’s needs are unique. We treat all of our clients with the attention they deserve.
- We Keep You Updated – We know transparency is important to you. We want you to understand what’s happening with your case at all points in the process.
- Flexible Meeting Times – To accommodate your busy schedule.
- Where We Serve You – Our Office is in San Jose, but we accept cases throughout the Bay area. We meet in person or virtually.
- 2nd Opinions Available – Already have a lawyer? We can provide you with a 2nd opinion on your case.
Ask Us A Question,
Tell Us Your Situation,
Or Schedule A Call
With Our Team.
Call (408) 560-4487(408) 560-4487 or fill out the short form below. We will respond on the same day if you’re reaching us before 5pm – otherwise, next business day. Don’t hesitate: We welcome your questions!
Client Reviews – Seabrook Law Offices
Actual Words Clients Have Used To Describe Us & Their Experience:
“very knowledgeable, and is straightforward in identifying options and recommending the best strategy”, “Paul’s guidance, dedication and savvy saved me and my family”, “not only does he have a heart, he is professional, knowledgeable and honest.”, “Paul made the experience painless and pleasant”, “my experience with him has been stellar”, “upfront and honest”, “you definitely want him on your side”, “always made time for questions and answers”, “well versed and professional with a great attitude”, “outstanding, hardworking and committed team!”, “his professionalism and dedication landed me an outcome I didn’t expect”, “excellent attorney who has helped our family immensely”, “can be counted on for superior guidance, impeccable, representation & flawless execution”, “knowledgeable, realistic, reasonable and trustworthy!”, “Paul went above and beyond to fix any issues”, “Paul Seabrook and his staff went above and beyond for my case.”
If these things are what you are looking for in a law firm then contact us to see how we can help you and your family.
Servicemember Civil Relief Act in California
The Servicemember Civil Relief Act (SCRA) implements several protections for Military Service members while deployed. One of these protections is from civil court proceedings, including divorce. As with non-military divorce, the spouse requesting the divorce (petitioner) must first file, and the spouse receiving the divorce summons must be served the paperwork. If an active military service member is prevented from responding to the summons, that member cannot be held in default as they could in a non-military divorce. This protection, however, does not allow the service member to outright ignore divorce papers.
If one or both spouses are in the military, the petitioner can file divorce papers where the service member is stationed or in the state (generally the county courthouse) where they currently reside. To file for divorce in California, one of you must either live or have a station in the state. It is often better for the non-military spouse to file where they reside because of how often service members move around.
There Are 2 Different Grounds to File a Military Divorce in California
When filing for divorce as a Military Member or Military Spouse in California, the petitioner can claim that:
- The individuals had irreconcilable differences that caused the marriage to break apart or;
- Legal incapacity permanently causes one spouse to be incapable of making decisions.
In either case, you need not prove that the declaration is true. The petitioner only needs to state the grounds for filing the divorce petition.
At Least One of the Spouses Must Meet the Following Requirements:
To file for divorce in California, you or your spouse needs to have resided or be stationed in California. Only one resident of the state is required to file for divorce.
- Be a California resident for the past 6 months (at least)
- Live in the county in which the case is filed for the past 3 months (at least)
Aspects of Divorce & Family Law We Assist You With
Depending on whether children or involved or not, additional aspects of Divorce include the list below. Be comforted to know that we will never make any decisions on your case without ensuring you have the final word.
About the Divorce Process in California
The following are the steps in the dissolution of marriage process. Some of these steps are not necessary in simpler and uncontested cases while all the steps may be taken in more contentious cases.
Seabrook Law is proud to serve San Jose and the surrounding suburbs:
- Los Altos Hills
- Monte Sereno
- Portola Valley
- Palo Alto
- San Carlos
What To Do Now:
We welcome your questions and want to understand your situation to help you move forward and achieve the peace of mind that comes with having everything done properly and efficiently. Call our office at (408) 560-4487(408) 560-4487 with questions and a description of your situation to see if we can assist or to schedule a consultation. Or you may simply fill out the form above on this page. Your form will be directly emailed to our office, and you can expect a reply within 1 business day and often within hours of the same day. All information you share is confidential.